Copy the entire plain text version of this fact sheet to your clipboard using the share button at the beginning of this page, or manually select a portion here, then hit ctrl-c or cmd-c on a Mac. This plain text was automatically generated by parsing this page. It has ~words words and ~characters characters.
- In 2016, 300 experts signed a letter asking the World Health Organization to recognize animal farming as a threat to global health including pandemics. https://openletteranimalfarming.com/welcome/
- A study from 2009 showed further evidence that new viruses will continue emerging in pigs with "pandemic potential in humans." https://www.nature.com/articles/nature08182
- Scott Weathers, writing in Management Sciences for Health states that "seeking to reduce the risk of pandemics should recognize the critical role that this industry [factory farming] plays and place it firmly at the forefront of their policy agenda." https://www.msh.org/blog/2017/05/30/factory-farms-a-hotspot-for-emerging-pandemics
- Study from virologist R. Webby finds US swine population as a reservoir of viruses with deadly pandemic potential https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0168170204001145?
- Dr. Jonathan Quick, one of the world's top health professionals and Chair of the Global Health Council, believes that a new virus arising from a factory farm is likely coming, and could kill 300 million worldwide. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5465241/Why-believe-killer-flu-pandemic-just-corner.html?fbclid=IwAR05e7Q5V18Rk984hNz68FOV_Rcskz_A3c3qSXZ0Pzm-X3HugBQCQ9aBTMw
- H1N1 viruses have circulated in pigs for 80 years. In 2009, the H1N1 global pandemic spread to 30 countries (originating in the US and Mexico). According to the CDC, 80% of deaths occured in people younger than 65 years of age. https://www.cdc.gov/…/pandemic-reso…/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html
The page was originally authored by Greg.Fuller but may have been edited since.